Watch for these electrical hazards in your home

Electricity in the home is so commonplace that it's easy to forget how
dangerous it can be. According to the American Institute for Preventive
Medicine, an electrical shock can knock you unconscious, cause a serious
burn, or even stop your heartbeat.


Fortunately, there are some simple things you can do to reduce the risk.

• Install safety plugs in outlets that young children can reach.
• Never plug in anything with a frayed or otherwise damaged power cord.
• Never use a plugged-in computer, hair dryer, or other electricallypowered item near a filled sink or bathtub. This     includes phones with power cords.
• Never touch anything electrical with wet hands or while standing in water. (Water is a remarkably efficient conductor of electricity.)
• Always turn off the appropriate breaker before doing any electrical work, such as installing a new light fixture.
• When replacing a broken light bulb, turn off the breaker first.  Although the glass is broken, the filament may still be conducting electricity.

Finally, unless you're an expert or an electrician, never do any major electrical work on your own. Hire a professional.

Comments:
No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published): *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:
The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos identify professional services rendered by REALTOR® members of CREA to effect the purchase, sale and lease of real estate as part of a cooperative selling system.
MLS®, REALTOR®, and the associated logos are trademarks of The Canadian Real Estate Association.